Friday 19 March 2010

Raab

Raab is traditional Gujarati drink. This is a home made remedy to fight sore throat and cough. Ingredients used in raab gives energy and hence it is preferred to drink after fasts.

I learnt this recipe after I came to UK as at home my mom or dadi will make it for me when ever I have sore throat and cold.

In some homes where they don't afford to drink milk usually drink raab. Very famous in villages. Usually taken during mornings or afternoons instead of tea or coffee.

From my personal experience I avoid milk during cold infection and switch to raab. I have it twice or thrice a day instead of milk, tea or coffee. This helps me fight cold and sore throat infection. Also by avoiding milk I have noticed my body's cough production reduces.

This is called bajra ni raab. I will post more versions of raab as and when I learnt them.

Serves 2:
Ingredients:
Bajra no lot/millet flour: 2 table spoon
Ginger powder: 1/2 table spoon
Ajwaeen/ Carom seeds: 1 tea spoon
Almonds: 3-4

Gud/ Jaggary: 2 table spoon(grated, alter as per your taste)
Boiling water: 2cups
Ghee/ Clarified butter: 1 table spoon melted or 1.5 tea spoon.

Preparation:
Soak jaggary in water until its melted. Small lumps are okay as they will melt during cooking raab. Use this water in cooking and the remaining water to total make 2 cups.

Cut almonds into thin slices.

Sieve the flour.

Heat the pot. Add ghee and let it heat up. Add ajwaeen seeds and wait till they pop.
Add millet flour and roast for 1 minute on medium flame.
Add jaggary water and remaining water. Add ginger powder. Keep stir at all times. Use other hand to add all the ingredients. Add almonds.

Tip: prepare all the ingredients near where you are cooking and in easy reach.

Add almonds. On low to medium flame stir for about 5 minutes. If mixture is too thick add little bit of more water. Stir well to remove lumps from raab.

Serve hot and consume immediately you will notice a good relief in your cough and throat in 2-3 days of time.

1 comment:

  1. Great recipe. I make it similar to you but haven't tried adding badam.

    ReplyDelete

Please leave me some comments, your feedback is much appreciated and anticipated.

Thanks.